Last Monday, City Council passed the following:
TO: GENERAL COMMITTEE SUBJECT: NICHOLSON DRIVE PARKING INVESTIGATION WARD: 6
PREPARED BY AND KEY
J. MACDONALD, C.E.T., SENIOR TRANSPORTATION OPERATIONS TECHNOLOGIST, EXT. 5178 SUBMITTED BY: D. FRIARY, DIRECTOR OF ROADS, PARKS AND FLEET GENERAL MANAGER
A. BOURRIE, RPP, ACTING GENERAL MANAGER OF INFRASTRUCTURE AND GROWTH MANAGEMENT CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE
M. PROWSE, CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER RECOMMENDED MOTION
1. That Traffic By-law 80-138, Schedule ‘D’, “Stopping Prohibited” be amended by adding the following:
“Nicholson Drive West Side From Summerset PURPOSE & BACKGROUND
2. Staff received concerns from both area residents and the Ward Councillor regarding the need to review the current parking situation along Nicholson Drive in the vicinity of the pedestrian walkway located at the rear of Ferndale Woods Elementary School. 3. Nicholson Drive is a two (2) lane local roadway with a pavement width of 8.5 metres and a sidewalk along the east side which provides a pedestrian connection to the walkway at the rear of Ferndale Woods Elementary School, and has a daily traffic volume of approximately 200 vehicles per day. Please refer to Appendix “A”.
4. Currently, parking is permitted along Nicholson Drive between Summerset Drive and Cunningham Drive. Overnight on-street parking is prohibited from December 1st to March 31st, between 12:01 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. for the purpose of winter maintenance. ANALYSIS
5. A Parking Questionnaire was prepared and mailed to fifty six (56) property owners along Nicholson Street to select a preferred option. Fifteen (15) responses were received and the results of the questionnaire are as follows:
Option “A” – Leave the current parking in place on both sides of
1 17% Option “B” – Implement “No Stopping 8 am to 4 pm, Monday to
Friday, September 1 to July 1, excluding Statutory Holidays”
5 83% Total (Out of 56) 6 11% 6. Staff issued a comment sheet to the Simcoe County District School Board to gather feedback regarding the proposed parking regulations along Nicholson Drive, staff did not receive any comments or concerns.
7. Staff observations and comments from respondents identified the current parking situation poses operational and safety concerns along Nicholson Drive. Currently, pedestrians are crossing the roadway between parked vehicles to access the pedestrian walkway; vehicles are obstructing residential driveways; and parking on both sides of the roadway greatly impedes traffic flow. 8. Staff also conducted observations during drop off/pick up for Ferndale Woods Elementary School along Ferndale Drive and noted there currently is a Kiss “n” Ride which operates during drop off and pick times. It was noted vehicles do queue momentarily on Ferndale Drive, however this queueing does not pose any operational or safety concerns as it is for a very short duration. 9. Staff observed vehicles were also parking on Ferndale Drive South adjacent to the curb to actively load/unload which does not pose any operational or safety concerns as pedestrians are accessing the vehicles directly adjacent to a sidewalk in front to Ferndale Woods Elementary School. 10. Based on feedback area residents and staff observations it is recommended that Traffic By-law 80- 138 Schedule “D”, “Stopping Prohibited” be amended by adding the following: “Nicholson Drive West Side From Summerset
Drive to a point
87m south of
8:00 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday to Friday, September 1st to July 1
st, Excluding Statutory Holidays.” 11. The proposed stopping prohibition along the west side of Nicholson Drive is recommended to prevent parents/guardians from stopping opposite Ferndale Woods Elementary School walkway and pedestrians crossing between parked cars. This will also ensure motorists do not obstruct the residential driveways along the west side of the roadway and ensure safe and efficient travel width. 12. Barrie Police Service, Barrie Fire and Emergency Service and Municipal Law Enforcement staff do not oppose the recommended motion.
13. There are no environmental matters related to the recommendation.