Meeting requested to discuss questions raised by Councillor N Harris regarding progress on SMOS Action Plan.
Mayor Jeff Lehman
Councillor Natalie Harris
Detective Inspector Jim Walker – Deputy Director, Central Organized Crime Enforcement Bureau, OPP; Co-lead SMOS Enforcement pillar
Meredith Fryia – Manager, Addiction Services and Back on Track Program, Canadian Mental Health Association, Simcoe County Branch; Lead, SMOS Treatment pillar
Brian Irving – Manager, Addiction Services and North Simcoe Muskoka RAAM Services, Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre; Member, SMOS Treatment pillar
Janice Greco – Manager, Substance Use and Injury Prevention Program, Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit; Member, SMOS Harm Reduction pillar
Mia Brown – Public Health Nurse, Substance Use and Injury Prevention Program, Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit; Lead, SMOS Harm Reduction pillar
Claudia Swoboda-Geen – Public Health Nurse, Substance Use and Injury Prevention Program, Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit; Co-Lead, SMOS Prevention pillar
Dr. Charles Gardner – Medical Officer of Health, Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit
Dr. Lisa Simon – Associate Medical Officer of Health, Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit; Co-Chair, SMOS Steering Committee
Action items: (* Bolded items added by N Harris for clarification)
- Prevention pillar to consider attending open ALANON meetings to connect with family and friends of those with addiction or who have died from addiction. (Suggested by Councillor N Harris).
- Treatment pillar, including RVH rep, to consider further needs and effective and sustainable avenues for shifting clinical practice in treating opioid use disorder in the ED and primary care. To follow up on this with Dr. Gardner, Mayor Lehman, and Dr. Simon, and consider pursuing possibilities discussed (as follows) or other ideas:
- Dr. Gardner approaching local physician leaders he knows to enquire with them on their understanding of the opioid crisis and the possible treatment barriers that could be addressed, and solutions that could be pursued to achieve optimal patient care. (Meeting with Dr. Martin, RVH and Councillor N Harris being arranged).
- Mayor Lehman and Dr Gardner to consider approaching the medical leadership within the Healthy Barrie initiative for this same purpose.
- Mayor Lehman to consider a supportive role for the Connected Core program.
- Dr. Simon to connect Treatment pillar with existing avenues to connect with physicians (NSM LHIN Primary Care Network, and ED leads).
- Consider opportunities for NSM LHIN hospitals to share with each other on effective practices, learnings, etc. (Suggested by Councillor N Harris).
- Harm Reduction pillar and Dr. Simon to determine plan for continued discussion with hospitals regarding barriers to instituting take-home naloxone from EDs. Consider overlap with Treatment pillar avenues in #2. (Suggested by Councillor N Harris).
- Councillor Harris to follow up with SMOS anti-stigma lead to discuss her new anti-stigma call-to-action for the community, if her article for the Huffington Post on this issue isn’t published. (Action initiated and follow-up meeting scheduled).
- Opportunities for Councillor N Harris – both as Councillor and as a person with lived experience – to be a resource for SMOS:
- SMOS recommends that N Harris join the pillar(s) of her choosing, for contribution to decision making, implementation, and ongoing discussion, as that is the avenue that has been established to coordinate the wide range of stakeholders participating in this work.
- Follow up discussion on action items from this Jan 7 meeting:
- Councillor Harris is welcome to reach out to SMOS steering committee members if additional questions arise.
- Upcoming SMOS communications to City Council: SMOS is initiating a quarterly newsletter (Jan/Feb 2020, and on), SMOS 2019 update (spring 2020), Continuing SCS Advisory committee communications, BDAP meeting highlights, to a limited email list (more are welcome to be added), and SMOS to send memo for today’s meeting to City Council.
– From Detective Inspector Jim Walker: Overview of intentions for SMOS-Statistics Canada Data Project, and Summary report from similar past project in Surrey BC
– From Dr Gardner: Chief Public Health Officer’s Report on the State of Public Health in Canada 2019 – Addressing Stigma: Towards a More Inclusive Health System
Lisa Simon, MD, MPH, CCFP, FRCPC
Associate Medical Officer of Health
Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit, 15 Sperling Dr, Barrie, ON L4M 6K9