Today I had a wonderful meeting with the Rapid Action Addiction Medicine (RAAM) managers, Attorney General Doug Downey, MPP Andrea Khanjin, mothers who have lost their children to a drug overdose and fellow advocate Marc Hanuman.
We discussed the following:
– Adding an RN to the staff of the withdrawal management team (detox)
– Improving advertising of the RAAM
– Making Barrie’s RAAM open 24/7
– Developing a pilot project in Barrie that offers a satellite treatment centre in cooperation with RVH
– Adding a staff member to the RAAM clinic who would liaise with RVH’s emergency department and the RAAM
– Increase volunteer peer-support positions with lived-experience individuals
– Begin communication with the paramedic services base-hospital physician to potentially create a diversion protocol for stable withdrawal patients
…and so much more.
I will be setting a follow-up meeting ASAP. The discussion around the table was very promising!