I met with representatives from The Gilbert Centre and the Canadian Mental Health Association this morning and the following information was provided to me about the Simcoe Muskoka Opioid Strategy’s (SMOS) due diligence with respect to public consultation necessary for a complete provincial and federal supervised consumption site (SCS) application.
- I was given a copy of the neighbourhood information night flyer that was sent out to the residents living in close proximity to 90 Mulcaster.
- I was given a copy of the Canada Post receipt to confirm that the flyer was indeed sent out.
- SMOS conducted 3 surveys; one of which had 2000 participants.
- 2039 people who live, work, or go to school in Barrie, 47 people with lived experience of drug use, and 24 community partners participated in community consultations.
- Onsite security cameras and additional lighting will be installed at 90 Mulcaster.
- The Gilbert Centre will ensure established links are made between the SCS and relevant treatment.
- The Gilbert Centre will host monthly open houses after the SCS is up and running, allowing for the public to visit the site, have staff answer questions,
- SMOS will submit a community engagement and liaison plan which outlines how the community will be engaged on an ongoing basis.